• gets familiar with the most usual cutting and welding methods common onboard modern vessels.
• gets familiar with the safety measures to be taken when performing work with cutting and welding equipment.
• gets to know the most common tools used in metal work, their functioning and areas of use.
• is able to apply occupational safety instructions when using tools and machine-tools.
• knows how to perform minor overhaul and maintenance related tasks.
• is able to take environmental aspects into consideration in connection with welding and metal work.