The aim of the Tanker Familiarization Course is that those who intend to start working on a tanker, others than officers or crew having responsibility for cargo transport or handling, will get acquainted with tanker cargoes, cargo handling equipment, cargo shipments and tanker operations.
After passing the course the student gets a certificate which entitles him/her to apply for an official certificate from the Finnish Maritime Administration.
Vessel Types and Cargo Handling
Content of the study unit
• Regulations and application codes
• Tankers, types, construction, the names of the various parts and equipment
• Operations on a tanker
• Loading and discharging, sea transportation, purging, washing and cleaning of tanks, ballast and ballast passage
• The physical and chemical characteristics of oils, chemicals and gases
• Cargo characteristics
• Health hazards, poisonousness, risk of explosion and fire, and risks which are a threat to the marine environment
• Minimizing the risks and risk factors, risk of explosion and fire and poisonousness, and protection of the marine environment
• Safety appliances and equipment and personal protection
• Emergency measures