STCW- Code: Table A-III/5
• knows the main parts of the diesel engine and its purpose.
• knows the different fields of application of diesel engines.
• knows the environmental effects of diesel engines.
• realizes the importance of maintenance for safe navigation and minimized environmental consequences.
Content of the study unit
• the most important parts of a diesel engine and their functioning mechanisms
• lubricating oils
• cooling water
• starting air
• maintenance and overhaul of a diesel engine
• the effects of a diesel engine on the environment
• occupational safety