|Search for study unit:||ECTS||1||2||3||4||1A||1S||2A||2S||3A||3S||4A||4S||1||2||3||4||5||1||2||3||4||5||1||2||3||4||5||1||2||3||4||5|
|Introduction to Academic Studies||3|
|Swedish - Oral Skills||0|
|Swedish - Writing Skills||0|
|Finnish - Oral Skills||0|
|Finnish - Writing Skills||0|
|Art History 1||3|
|History of Art 2||3|
|Contemporary Art and Design||3|
|History of Design and Photography||3|
|Work as studies||3|
|Photographic Expression 1||3|
|Introduction to the Professional Field 1||6|
|Introduction to the Professional Field 2||6|
|Work Life Contact 1||3|
|Work Life Contact 2||3|
Professional Studies, Fine Arts
|Introduction to Drawing||3|
|Atelje Studies 1||6|
|Atelje studies 2||9|
|Atelje studies 3||6|
|Atelje studies 4||6|
|Atelje studies 5||12|
|Atelje studies 6||12|
|Atelje studies 7||3|
|Work Placement 1, Fine Arts||3|
|Work Placement 2, Fine Arts||6|
|Work Placement 3, Fine Arts||6|
|Work Placement 4, Fine Arts||6|
|Work Placement 5, Fine Arts||9|
(Select 0 ECTS)
Degree Thesis, Fine Arts
|ECTS credits per period / semester / academic year||57||66||48||60||30||27||31.5||34.5||27||21||28.5||31.5||15||15||9||9||9||15.8||15.8||11.5||11.5||11.5||13.5||13.5||7||7||7||14.3||14.3||10.5||10.5||10.5|
Due to the timing of optional and elective courses, credit accumulation per semester / academic year may vary.
The course of studies gives the student the theoretical and practical skills that are needed in order to work in the fields connected to contemporary art. The students will learn how to work as a professional artist, as well as how to carry out artistic assignments and art projects. The main focus of the education is on how to acquire the skills needed for a personal creative mindset, and for working as an artist within the frameworks of today’s contemporary art.
The choice of medium and expression is usually up to the individual, and needs to be related to the concept of contemporary art.
The studies consist of:
Work practice 30 credits
Bachelor thesis 15 credits
The bachelor thesis consists of 15 credits. It often serves as a bridge between studies and professional life, and gives the students an opportunity to try out their theoretical models on practical problems. The thesis project becomes a part of the student’s own personal competence profile. The work done for the thesis may consist of internal or external commissions, collaborative works, or other works with a connection to the professional world.
The fine arts programme at Novia university of applied sciences commits to work towards a sustainable society
Artistic creation is a fundamental part of society. It stimulates everything from democratic discourse to the development of culture, trade and industry. The art education of today is international, and educates students for a global art scene. Historically, artists have worked across borders and for a long time contributed to internationalisation and a widening of our culture and society, while at the same time being active locally.
Visual artists have often pointed out injustices and brought attention to uncomfortable questions in society.
Artists work in a varied field, which leads to a wide variety of questions that need to be addressed from the perspective of sustainability.
Information and practical teaching about sustainability is included starting from course panning, hiring teachers, and course content. The following goals are our focus point:
- We work in a social environment where we see, hear and meet each other with respect. We work in a community, and see each other as future colleagues starting on day one of our education. We are aware that we are part of a common sustainable working life.
- Novia offers quality education on the BA level, and over the course of our programme we encourage further academic studies. While studying art, students are also encouraged to take short courses in other fields in order to deepen their knowledge. The role of the artist is many-faceted and new skills will be needed throughout life.
- The fine arts programme at Novia emphasises the importance of an intercultural approach to art, and givs attention to the importance of the narratives of girls and women on the art scene. The context of visual art can be widened through telling new stories.
- Artists have the right to decent economic and living standards. Our education presents different income sources for artists. Research about the work and economic conditions of the artist is carried out at Novia’s department of research and development. Currently, fine art degree holders work in many different fields and workplaces, where their competencies are appreciated.
- Visual art can be used to make your voice heard. Relational art and art that deals directly with society (community art) are tools that are used and taught at Novia, often from an explorative democracy perspective.
- Students are given insight into how every step in their current and future practice affects the climate, and are taught about more climate friendly alternatives when it comes to materials and techniques. When choosing materials for the practical courses during the art education, we will use environmentally friendly materials and recycle them.
- The fine arts programme is improved by the inclusion of a wide variety of perspectives, and we welcome everybody regardless of age, gender, function variations, race, ethnicity, origin, religion or economic or other status