The Shipping Business MM00AE47-3002 30.09.2021-10.01.2022
Competence objectives of the study unit
The aim of the course is to provide the student an overview of maritime and shipping industries and to develop student’s understanding on shipping markets, economics of shipping and the shipping industry.
After completing the course, the student will:
- Understand the role and significance of maritime transport as part of the international economy
- Understand the role and interaction of different stakeholders in the shipping industry.
- Understand the logic of key shipping markets such as liner shipping and tramp shipping
- Understand the revenue models in shipping and to utilize them in decision making from the perspective of different stakeholders
Content of the study unit
- An overview of the maritime and shipping related industries
- Shipping in a global economy
- Stakeholders in the shipping industry
- Different shipping markets (liner, tramp, etc)
- Revenue models
Assessment criteria – satisfactory (1-2)
Reports and/or assignments handed in according to timelines and if required orally presented. The materials at an approvable level of quality. Student's activity at an acceptable level.
Assessment criteria – good (3-4)
Good work input overall: Reports and/or assignments handed in according to timelines and if required presented. All materials of high quality. Good activity in the class, eg at the discussions and presentations.
Assessment criteria – excellent (5)
Exceptional quality overall: the written Reports and/or assignments, presentations, student activity.