The aim of the Tanker Familiarization Course is that those who in-tend to start working on a tanker, others than officers or crew hav-ing responsibility for cargo transport or handling, will get acquaint-ed with tanker cargoes, cargo handling equipment, cargo shipments and tanker operations.
After passing the course the student gets a certificate which enti-tles him/her to apply for an official certificate from the Finnish Maritime Administration.
Vessel Types and Cargo Handling
Content of the study unit
• Regulations and application codes
• Tankers, types, construction, the names of the various parts and equipment
• Operations on a tanker
• Loading and discharging, sea transportation, purging, washing and cleaning of tanks, ballast and ballast passage
• The physical and chemical characteristics of oils, chemicals and gases
• Cargo characteristics
• Health hazards, poisonousness, risk of explosion and fire, and risks which are a threat to the marine environment
• Minimizing the risks and risk factors, risk of explosion and fire and poisonousness, and protection of the marine envi-ronment
• Safety appliances and equipment and personal protection
• Emergency measures