The student is provided with knowledge of the precautions to be taken to prevent pollution of the marine environment in-cluding:
Measures to prevent pollution and all equipment with reference to this.
Knowing the effects of seafaring on the marine environment and the sources of discharge.
Knowing the procedures which should be taken in order to prevent pollution of the marine environment with reference to both normal vessel operations and accidents.
Knowing about the obligation to report in case of damage on the vessel or observing oil in the water.
Content of the study unit
• Pollution of the marine environment and sources of discharge.
• Finnish national legislation with reference to prevention of water pollution caused by vessels
• Measures to be taken onboard vessels to prevent discharge and spillage
• Equipment and systems for the prevention of discharge and spillage
• Environmental certificates onboard
• Preventive measures for pollution protection