Safety for Officers MM14O307-3005 01.08.2021-31.12.2021
2 credits(SEP19V-MMC, ...)+-
Competence objectives of the study unit
• To fulfil the requirements set in the STCW Convention with reference to the training in maritime and ship safety for the Operational Level.
• STCW A-II/1
• Basic Safety
Content of the study unit
• The safety-related responsibilities and duties of officers. The STCW Convention requirements
• Rescue organizations and plans
• The IAMSAR-manual
• Vessel accidents. Immediate action after grounding. Typical examples, causes and consequences. The human factor.
• Damage assessment and damage control
• Survival techniques
• The duties and responsibilities of fleet commanders and vessel masters. Safety-related work onboard. Regulations, legislators and supervision. Alarm organization onboard.
• Cooperation with rescue helicopters
• Mental preparedness. Catastrophe psychology.
• Safety planning onboard. Assessment of the vessel’s state of readiness.
• Practical exercises:
• Exercises wearing safety equipment
• Exercises using emergency signals
• Exercises in arranging and having drills onboard
Crisis Management and Human Behaviour
The course has been designed in accordance with the framework given in the STCW A-V/2.4 and
has comprised a total of 8 hours of instructions and exercises.