Ship Types and Cargo Handling MO20S05-3002 01.08.2020-31.07.2021
Competence objectives of the study unit
STCW- Code: Table A-II/4 A-III/5
• knows how to make the vessel ready for sea and duties in port in connection with loading and discharging, cargo handling and handling of hazardous cargoes.
• knows the structure of a merchant ship and the most common vessel terms.
• has thorough knowledge of the objectives of environmental protection and occupational welfare.
• knows the characteristics and functioning of mooring equipment and lifting devices and cargo securing methods
• knowledge of procedures for safe handling, stowage and securing of stores
Content of the study unit
• Different vessel types, their areas of usage
• Ship construction, the names of various vessel parts and their use
• Vessel equipment, main dimensions and form, load lines and markings for draught (draught-marks)
• Handling and securing of general cargoes
• Handling of dangerous goods according to the IMDG Code and the risks connected with hazardous cargoes
• Environmental protection and occupational welfare
• The vessel’s mooring equipment, lifting devices and cargo securing methods
• can perform duties of a watchman safely in connection with loading and discharging