- can explain how forests in Finland have historically been used
- can describe the development of management, logging and transport methods
- understands the connection between the emergence and development of the forest industry and how forests have been utilised at different times
- is able to account for conditions of forest ownership historically and currently
- understands the aims of different forest organizations
- has knowledge of cooperation between different organisations and actors in the forest sector
- knows forest policy in Finland and the EU
No previous knowledge is required
Content of the study unit
Forest use in the past: slash and burn, charcoal production, tar production and shipbuilding.
Forest ownership in Finland.
The beginning and development of the forest industry.
From selective tree cuttings to today's forest management.
The development of harvesting and forest management methods.
Wood Harvesting in comparison to forest increment during different periods.
Important forest organizations:
Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Tapio and Luke, Forestry Service,
Finnish Forest Center, Forest management associations, MTK and SLC,
The largest forest companies, Meto
Finnish Forest Foundation, Metsämiesten säätiö, Finnish Forestry Association,
the Association Skogskultur
Main principles for forest taxation and previous area taxation
Forest programs, national and regional.
På bedömningen inverkar:
Grupparbeten med presentationer
Tent eller deltenter (not translated)