The student understands the basics of celestial position determination.
The student is provided with skills in using the sextant.
The student is provided with skills in calculating the height to various celestial bodies.
The student is provided with skills in calculating the hour angle and declination of celestial bodies.
Terrestrial Navigation B, Mathematics 2
Content of the study unit
• The basics of celestial navigation
• The height method
• The system of co-ordinates
• The Nautical Almanac (NA) and height tables
• Sextant and corrections for heights
• Height calculations
• Time, time calculations
• Calculations in determining the local time angle and declination of celestial bodies