Course documentation is within Moodle together with relevant teaching materials and reference documents
In-class and directed study
06.09.2021 - 12.12.2021
11.06.2021 - 12.09.2021
Faculty of Technology and Seafaring
Degree Programme in Civil and Construction Engineering, Degree Programme in Mechanical and Production Engineering, Degree Programme in Electrical Engineering and Automation, Degree Programme in Industrial Management
Vasa, Wolffskavägen 33
Contact the teacher
Assignments an exams during the course.
About 81 hours total work load. About 36 lectures (45 min).
- describe the usual energy sources and extraction methods.
- describe apparatus and central processes in energy production and energy use as well as ability to name uses for them.
- describe the main features of energy supply and use in Finland and globally.
- mention the most important environmental aspects of energy production and energy use.
- mention the greenhouse gases and describe how and where they occur.
- explain the central cost components of energy production.
- compare different energy sources regarding properties and limitations.
- compare properties and limitations of equipment and processes in energy technology.
- explain the operating principle of energy engineering equipment.
- compare energy supply and consumption in Finland, neighboring countries and other central countries.
- mention methods for reducing the environmental impact and can explain their operating principle.
- compare the climate impact for different forms of energy production.
- compare the costs of the most common forms of energy production.
- describe development trends and to assess the development opportunities for new energy sources and new energy technical equipment.
- explain the underlying causes of differences in energy supply and energy use between different countries and regions.
- assess methods for reducing the environmental impact of your technical and financial perspective.
- describe how the greenhouse effect works
- explain the most important mechanisms in the climate system.
- make a profitability calculation for simple energy-technical investments.