Navigational Aids: GNSS, Compasses and Steering MM14O109-3008 08.09.2022-18.11.2022
Studieperiodens (kursens) lärandemål
• knows how to use electronic aids, and he/she knows about their reliability and limitations as complementary means to ensure safe navigation.
• is able to determine the vessel’s position with the help of electronic navigational aids.
• understand the principal structure of satellite position-ing systems (GNSS).
• is aware of limitations and errors of GNSS systems and their level of position accuracy.
• knows how to use the echo-sounder and how to apply the information correctly.
• has knowledge of the functioning of the magnetic and gyro-compasses.
• is able to determine errors in magnetic and gyro-compasses using celestial and terrestrial methods and to take such errors into account.
• has knowledge of the steering control systems, operat-ing instructions and change-over from manual steering to autopilot and vice versa. He/she knows how to ad-just the controls for optimal performance.
Terrestrial Navigation A
Studieperiodens (kursens) innehåll
• Various satellite positioning systems and electronic sea charts.
• The accuracy level of the systems.
• Limitations and errors.
• Autopilot for the steering of the vessel
• Compass studies with reference to the gyro and magnetic principles.
• Echo-sounders for determining the depth; their operational aspects.
• Different types of logs for speed determination.